Re: Scalability (both vertical and horizontal)?

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Scalability (both vertical and horizontal)?
Дата
Re: Scalability (both vertical and horizontal)?  (Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>)
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Dennis Gearon wrote:

> scott.marlowe wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Duffey, Kevin wrote:
> >

> >>We are looking for information regarding any capabilities of PostgreSQL
> >>in regards to scalability. Ideally we want to be able to scale in both
> >>directions. What sort of solutions are out there for either or both
> >>directions of scalability? Specifically, open-source solutions would be
> >>most in need, but commercial applications are fine as well.
> >>

> >As for horizontal scaling, you could look at ERserver for that.  Setup one
> >master writer and a bunch of slave boxes to handle the majority of the
> >queries.  There's not been a bunch of work into horizontal scaling really,
> >with most of the clustering software for postgresql aiming at failover /
> >high availability, not massive parallelization of read and / or writes.
> >
> Are there any databases that do well in horizontal scaling? What really
> *IS* Oracle Real Application Clusters?

I've heard Vax Clusters running RDB do well.

TPF on a mainframe is highly recommended by Sabre, the Airline reservation
folks.

I've heard horror stories about RAC though.

I don't think there's anysuch thing as an easily configurable high
performance clustering solution.  The better the run the more
infrastructure (hardware, software, support) they seem to need.