Re: why does count take so long?

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: why does count take so long?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
The problem with that approach is that while there may only be one or two
tables that you want to do max(field) on, it would require that all tables
be kept track of, increasing overhead.  Keep in mind, select id from table
order by id desc limit 1 is a snap, hits the indexes, and runs fast.

also, I don't think postgresql keeps "live" statistics, only "dead" ones
i.e. they are only gathered by running analyze.  If you just need an
approximate account, you can already get that from the statistics table.

Now, if there were a simple way of assigning such behaviour to a table,
(i.e. with count or something like that) via a trigger, that might be
worth looking into, but keep in mind, it creates a serious bottleneck
during inserts/updates/deletes.