Re: Basic questions before start

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Basic questions before start
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 gogulus@eqnet.hu wrote:

> Hello,
>
>   I am planning to implement a system, where there is one Master
> database running on a Linux box with as many resources as necessary, and
> there are one or more client pc computers,with processor speed of 100
> Mhz, memory of 32-64 Mbytes and a 10Mb/s network card.

That's pretty slow for graphics and fancy stuff.  I'd run a light weight
windows manager if you HAVE to have a GUI front en.

If you can set them up to use a curses based client, you might get better
performance out of them.

If the subordinate databases on each workstation are kept trim and
vacuumed and analyzed often enough, they should be quite snappy from a
database perspective.  It's handling large data sets that slows down
machines like that.  If there's only a few hundred or thousand rows, a
P100 / 64 Megs is plenty fast.