Re: Urgent: 10K or more connections

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Urgent: 10K or more connections
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 18 Jul 2003, Francois Suter wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have received a question via the Advocacy site and I am not knowledgeable
> enough to answer. Can you help?
>
> The question is: can PostgreSQL handle between 10'000 and 40'000
> simultaneous connections? The persone asking the question has to choose
> between Oracle and PostgreSQL, and my guess is that they would be relieved
> if they could go with PostgreSQL.
>
> Do you have any additional advice I could transmit to this person about
> handling that many connections. I'm sure any help we can provide will be an
> additional selling point.

Wow!  That's quite a few connections.  I would say that 10,000 connections
is a lot for ANY database to hold open.

Can this person use connection pooling?  Or do they need an actual 10,000
parallel accesses to get things done?  If they can't use connection
pooling, or connection pooling only gets them down to 10k to 40k
connections, then that's a huge system.  I wouldn't run something that big
on Oracle or Postgresql, I'd use a farm of mainframes running something
like TPF like the airlines do.