Re: 2 different versions of postgres on the same system

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: 2 different versions of postgres on the same system
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Madhavi Daroor wrote:

> Hi all,
>      I have installed postgres 7.3 in my Red hat linux 7.2 system. I want to
> also install postgres 7.2.3 in the same system. Is it possible?? Can
> somebody please tell me how I can do this...ASAP!!!

Just what the other message said, with one caveat.  If you're prone to
dumbass attacks (I know I am some days) then install each under a
different account that doesn't have access to the other's directory.  This
has two advantages.  1:  If you're rm -Rf ing the data directory you don't
have to worry about doing it to the wrong one as much, since you're
command prompt will have the account name showing (name the accounts
something like pgsql72 and pgsql73) and 2: You can assign ownership of the
two databases to two different people, and not worry about person1
destroying person2's database.

They need to run on different ports too, of course.