Re: Heterogeneous service (like Oracle or Ms SQL Server)

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Heterogeneous service (like Oracle or Ms SQL Server)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 14 May 2003, Mirco Tamburini wrote:

> There is a concept of Database link?
> Oracle Heterogeneous service (Trasparent gateway for ODBC) can create a link
> to odbc database and the yuo can query 2 table across 2 different DB.

Yes, dblink lets you do this, albeit with a rather different syntax than
how most databases do it.

> Select products.* , customer.name
> from products, customer@MSAccessdb
> where products.id=customer.id

In postgresql this WILL work if you create seperate schemas and treat them
like seperate databases.  I.e. you partition you data across multiple
schemas in a single database.  If you actually have to HAVE a seperate
database, then this won't work.

> P.S.
> contrib/dblink can link external odbc/jdbc source?

No, but apparently, there are some folks looking at tinkering with just
that.  Search the archives over the last 6 months or so for dblink and you
should find it.