Re: Website troubles

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Website troubles
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > Well, maybe it does, but when an important news story drives new
> > eyeballs to your website, you need something better than a bouncing $hit
> > happens logo if you want to make a positive impression. All Greg wants
> > to know is what caused the problem and what steps are being taken to
> > make sure it doesn't happen again. That's hardly unreasonable.
>
> The problem is/was persistent database connections ... the problem, IMHO,
> is that there is no way of 'timing out' idle connections, so any load on
> the web site that creates a whack of persistent connections, and then they
> all go idle, then if another hit on a different database goes through, it
> gets starved for connections ...
>
> I've started to disable PHPs default of allowing persistent connections,
> which seems to have help'd ...

I've posted on this before once or twice.  Basically, whatever Apache's
max children is set to, postgresql to be set for a higher number of
connections.  since apache defaults to a much higher number, it's a
problem looking to happen.

If you drop the max apache children to say 64 and crank the max
connections on pgsql to 128 or so, it'll work fine.