Re: Server error and deadlocks

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: Server error and deadlocks
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Orr, Steve wrote:

> You're right about the lack of foreign keys... it's a foreign concept to the
> DUHvelopers. I suspect table locks but are there any database level tracing
> tools to show the SQL? Will the trace_locks and debug_deadlocks parameters
> help and how do I use them?

Actually, what you need is a code audit and some training for your
developers on how real transactions work and why they don't need to use
table level locks.

I'd have them study and learn from the section in the manual on MVCC and
then go back in and change their code to use transactions with select for
update instead of table locks.