Re: the "/usr/local/pgsql/data" directory size

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: the "/usr/local/pgsql/data" directory size
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Al Bean wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been evaluating postgres for the past few days and I really like it.
>
> But my targeted system is semi-embedded.  I'm going to have about 32MB of
> RAM
> and about 256MB of disk space.  Most of the embedded db's that I've
> evaluated
> just don't make the grade (even some non-embedded ones that I looked at.)
> Our
> data size will be near 250MB in worst Case and more like 225MB in average
> case
> situations.
>
> So if I allocate 25MB for user programs like postgres (the OS and other
> system
> files are actually in a ROM) I'll be able to cover most situations.
>
> Now, after compiling postgres and running initdb I noticed a the data
> directory
> is a little over 23MB.  I understand that much of this is allocated to
> system
> tables but is there anyway to (significantly) decrease the overall size
> here?
> For example the template1 db probably resides in here.  would it be possible
> create a user db and then delete the template1 db or even simply use the
> template1 db?

That's not going to work.  Postgresql generally has about a 3:1 ratio
(very rough approximation) of used storage versus the actual data stored.
I.e. storing 250 megs of data is going to use about 750 Megs of drive
space.

I.e. you'll either need more drive space or you'll need to use something
else.

If you're doing simple hash table lookup type stuff, look at using dbm
style databases.  There's a gdbm system built into most Linux boxen, and
equivalents for most other unix OSes.