Re: [HACKERS] Realtime VACUUM, was: performance of

От scott.marlowe
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Realtime VACUUM, was: performance of
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
In a similar vein, setting the way back machine to the mid 80s when I was
in the USAF and teaching the computer subsystem of the A-10 INS test
station, we had old reclaimed Sperry 1650 computers (the precursor to the
1750) that had come out of the 1960 era fire control systems on
battleships like the Missouri and what not.

When the OS went south, it would put up a message that said "System Crash
at address XXXXXXX" or something very similar.  A colonol saw that and
insisted that the folks who wrote the OS change the word crash, since in
the Air Force crash (as in plane crash) had such bad connotations.  So, it
got changed to "System Fault at address xxxxxxxxx"  For the first month or
two that happened, folks would ask what a system fault was and what to do
with it.  They new that a crash would need the machine to be power cycled
but didn't know what to do with a system fault.  Shortly after that, the
manual for the test station had a little section added to it that