Re: do foreign key checks lock parent table ?

От
Тема Re: do foreign key checks lock parent table ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
We are not holding a transaction open.

But now that I understand how postgres is implementing fk constraints I
can see the problem.

Our table structure is bascially something like this.

order_header
    - Just basic order info

order_detail
    - A product
    - and it's quantity

order_detail_status
    - if an order detail has a quantity of 5 - there will be 5
          order_detail_status rows in this table

So, when we insert a record - we go from the top down.  But as the
products are made - a process marks each order_detail_status as complete.
Once all the order_detail_status's for a give order_header are complete -
the order_header status is updated to complete.

So, we are inserting from the top down - but updating from the bottom up.
But I didn't forsee this as a problem - because none of the status's
should overlap.  Status's are for instance 'New Order', 'In progress',
'Complete'.

We have many processes taking orders - and a process updating them to
the 'Complete' status.

Any ideas on how to remedy this?  Is this a problem that is being
addressed ?  I'd be glad to help!

Steve