Re: Further open item (Was: Status of 7.2)

От Tille, Andreas
Тема Re: Further open item (Was: Status of 7.2)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I personally would like to have index scans that look up heap rows
> record the heap expired status into the index entry via one bit of
> storage.  This will not _prevent_ checking the heap but it will prevent
> heap lookups for index entries that have been exipred for a long time.
> However, with the new vacuum, and perhaps autovacuum coming soon, may be
> little need for this optimization.
>
> The underlying problem the user is seeing is how to _know_ an index
> tuple is valid without checking the heap, and I don't see how to do that
> unless we start storing the transaction id in the index tuple, and that
> requires extra storage.
For my special case I think doubling main memory is about the same
price as a MS SQL server license.  I can´t say which further problems
might occure.

Kind regards
       Andreas.

От: "Tille, Andreas"
Сообщение: Re: Further open item (Was: Status of 7.2)
От: "Tille, Andreas"
Сообщение: Re: Further open item (Was: Status of 7.2)