Re: Serious performance problem

От Tille, Andreas
Тема Re: Serious performance problem
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 31 Oct 2001, Horst Herb wrote:

> I have the feeling that your problem is solved best by taking a different
> approach.
> As A. Pilosovs posting pointed out, index coverage is a problem intrinsic to
> the MVCC implementation (IMHO a small price to pay for a priceless feature).
Could somebody explain MVCC to such an uneducated man like me.  Is this a
certain feature (which perhaps MS SQL) doesn´t have and which might be
important in the future?
> I can't see why much effort should go into a brute force method to implement
> index coverage, if your problem can be solved more elegant in a different way.
>
> With the example you posted, it is essentially only simple statistics you
> want to run on tables where the *majority* of records would qualify in your
> query.
> Why not create an extra "statistics" table which is updated automatically
> through triggers in your original table? That way, you will always get
> up-to-date INSTANT query results no matter how huge your original table is.
My problem is to convince my colleague.  I´m afraid that he would consider
those optimizing stuff as "tricks" to work around constraints of the
database server.  He might argue that if it comes to the point that also
MS SQL server needs some speed improvement and he has to do the same
performance tuning things MS SQL does outperform PostgreSQL again and we
are at the end with our wisdom.  I repeat:  I for myself see the strength
of OpenSource (Horst, you know me ;-) ) and I would really love to use
PostgreSQL.  But how to prove those arguing wrong? *This* is my problem.
We have to do a design decision.  My colleague is a mathematician who
has prefered MS SQL server some years ago over Oracle and had certain
reasons for it based on estimations of our needs.  He had no problems
with UNIX or something else and he theoretically is on my side that OpenSource
is the better way and would accept it if it would give the same results
as his stuff.
But he had never had some performance problems with his databases and
knows people who claim to fill Zillions of Megabytes of MS SQL server.
So he doubt on the quality of PostgreSQL server if it has problems in
the first run.  I have to admit that his point of view is easy to
understand.  I would have to prove (!) that we wouldn´t have trouble
with bigger databases and that those things are no "dirty workarounds"
of a weak server.

> And, don't forget that the only way MS SQL can achieve the better performance
> here is through mercilessly hogging ressources. In a complex database
> environment with even larger tables, the performance gain in MS SQL would be
> minimal (my guess).
Unfortunately it is not enough to guess.  He has enough experiences that
I knows that the MS SQL server is fit for the task he wants to solve.  If
I tell him: "*Perhaps* you could run into trouble.", he would just laugh
about me because I´m in trouble *now* and can´t prove that I won´t be
again.

Kind regards
        Andreas.

От: "Mr. Shannon Aldinger"
Сообщение: Posgresql 7.2b1 crashes
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Another planner/optimizer question...