Re: Vague idea for allowing per-column locale

От Matthew Kirkwood
Тема Re: Vague idea for allowing per-column locale
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001, Tim Allen wrote:

> > We have realized that allowing per-column locale would be difficult with
> > the existing C library interface, because setlocale() is a pretty
> > inefficient operation.  But I think what we could allow, and what would be

> Yes, the C library locale notion is somewhat broken, or at best limited,
> imho. It doesn't fit at all well with the needs of a server that can have
> clients in different locales, or even clients in the same place who have
> different locale preferences.

This may be of interest:

http://www.cygnus.com/~drepper/tllocale.ps.bz2

It's not clear if glibc implements it yet, nor if people like
the interface, but it seems like a nice, easily-wrapped and
stubbed option, which might come for free on at least one OS.

Matthew.