Re: JDBC split and move ...

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: JDBC split and move ...
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Marc G. Fournier writes:

>     The end result of all of these discussions is that there are
> *several* pieces to our distribution that don't need to be *in* the
> distribution, and several of *those* that would actually benefit from
> being moved out ...

Agreed.

>     After talking to Chris about how to go about doing the transition,
> the plan is to build a Gborg project for it, make sure that Barry Lind
> (god, I hope I got my names right here *grin*) has maintainership of the
> project in Gborg, and then take and move the jdbc code from the pgsql
> CVSROOT and move it into the project CVSROOT, where develoment of the JDBC
> driver will continue ...

The only thing I want to fiercely protest about this is the Gborg thing.
The JDBC driver project already has its web site (jdbc.postgresql.org) and
its mailing list, so I don't see why gborg needs to come into the picture
at all.  Simply put the CVS root on cvs.postgresql.org, so people that are
used to checking out the pgsql module can simply replace that with the
name of the JDBC driver module.

Quite honestly, I seriously dislike web-based software development
infrastructures like sourceforge or gborg.  The group has repeatedly
spoken out against web-based bug tracking, web-based feature requesting,
web-based patch submissions.  And let me use this occasion to speak out
against having to sign up to some web site before you can join
development.

Furthermore, considering that everyone that comes along can open his own
gborg project, things will simply get lost in there.  "Official" stuff
should get more prominent treatment.

Just to make sure: You're not going to put the backend code into a gborg
project, are you?

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net