Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/client-auth.sgml

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/client-auth.sgml
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> > Tom, does a client do a kill() to its parent on password change?
>
> Right, it's basically the same as the way we handle checkpoint and
> SI-overrun signaling:
>
>     /*
>      * Signal the postmaster to reload its password-file cache.
>      */
>     if (IsUnderPostmaster)
>         kill(getppid(), SIGHUP);

But does this mean that postgresql.conf will be reread globally (i.e., by
the postmaster), when the user signals HUP only to a single backend?  I
guess this is actually a good idea, but it would be a change of
functionality.  Admittedly, the window of utility of signalling only a
single backend is small, but let's make sure the hupping behavior is
correctly documented, because this is possibly not expected.