Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump error - LOCALIZATION PROBLEM

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: [GENERAL] pg_dump error - LOCALIZATION PROBLEM
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> I think our problems are worse than that: once the identifier has been
> through a locale-dependent case conversion we really have a problem
> matching it to an ASCII string.  The only real solution may be to
> require *all* keywords to be matched in the lexer, and forbid strcmp()
> matching in later phases entirely.

There are several classes of strcasecmp() misuse:

1. Using strcasecmp() on strings that are guaranteed to be lower case,
because the parser has assigned to the variable one of a finite set of
literal strings.  See CREATE SEQUENCE, commands/sequence.c for example.

2. Using strcasecmp() on strings that were parsed as keywords.  See CREATE
OPERATOR, CREATE AGGREGATE, CREATE TYPE, commands/define.c.

3. Using strcasecmp() on the values of GUC variables.

4. Using strcasecmp() for parsing configuration files or other things with
separate syntax rules.  See libpq/hba.c for reading the recode table.

For #1, strcasecmp is just a waste.

For #2, we should export parts of ScanKeywordLookup as a generic function,
perhaps "normalize_identifier", and then we can replace
   strcasecmp(var, "expected_value")

with
   strcmp(normalize_identifier(var), "expected_value")

For #3, it's not quite clear, because the string value could have been
created by an identifier or a string constant, so it's either #2 or #4.

For #4, we need some ASCII-only strcasecmp version.