Practical Cursors

От Command Prompt, Inc.
Тема Practical Cursors
Дата
Re: Practical Cursors
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

We are just about to wrap up our book, Pratical PostgreSQL (the one that
used to be The Elephant never forgets) and we have a question.

There is an obvious benefit to the use of cursors within a persistent
environment. In other words, if my connection to the database is live, I
can increase my query and display efficiency through the use of a cursor.

However, this seems to be useless within a web based environment. If we
have a live connection through a C++ application, we can perform a
transaction and interact within the results.

However, using something like PHP will not allow this because HTTP is
stateless and PostgreSQL will not know from one transaction to the next
that the results of the connection are related.

Is this truly the case, or is there a way for PostgreSQL to remember the
connection identifier so that the next time a PHP connection is made with
the same identifier a transaction can be completed?

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

--
Practical PostgreSQL: