7.2 RPMs

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема 7.2 RPMs
Дата
Re: 7.2 RPMs
Список pgsql-hackers
I just took a dreadful look at the RPMs.  I've managed to build something
that resembles a 7.2 package, but there are a number of things that we
should talk about so this ends up being useful.

* The {pgaccess} parameter doesn't do anything AFAICT.  PgAccess is
installed whenever Tk support is configured (which is correct, IMO).
Maybe this is just a legacy item?

* I removed the {plperl} parameter, because PL/Perl now builds by default
on Linux.  Should plperl continue to stay its own package?  I'd say yes,
because you don't need in on every client.

* Related to previous, the tcl package currently includes client and
server components.  I'd say this is more useful as two separate packages.

* Similar issues with PL/Python

* Is libpgtcl.a supposed to be in the -libs package, while libpgtcl.so is
in -tcl?  What about libpgtcl.h?  Currently, the -devel package has an
implicit dependency on Tcl, which should probably not be there.

* How long do we want to keep the libpq.so.2.0 symlink?

* I fail to understand the motivation behind the way the -contrib package
is done.  You seem to be installing the source code.  I scrapped that and
installed the binaries the way it was designed to be.

* The -docs package is misleading.  Maybe it should be called -docs-devel
or something.  However, I'm having a hard time understanding how people
can make use of this.

* I request that rh-pgdump.sh and postgresql-dump be renamed to something
that conveys a semantic difference from pg_dump.  Possibly, these files
should not be installed into /usr/bin if they're not general purpose.

* What about the JDBC driver?  I think the driver should be compiled in
place by whatever JDK the build system provides.

* Start thinking about how to package National Language Support.

* Lot's of dependencies failing to be declared.

There are also a number of plain bug fixes that need to be integrated.