Re: A couple items on TODO

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: A couple items on TODO
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> AFAIR, elog at NOTICE or DEBUG level isn't really supposed to have any
> side-effects.  The bigger issue is that you have to be careful about
> using it in certain places, mainly during startup or for reporting
> communication errors.  (send failure -> elog -> tries to send message to
> client -> send failure -> elog -> trouble)

It's especially postmaster.c and the related subroutines elsewhere that
I'm not happy about.  The postmaster would really need a way to report an
error to the log and continue in its merry ways.  This could probably be
encapsulated in elog() by setting a flag variable "I'm the postmaster" --
might even exit already.  Note:  In my experience, the previous suggestion
to return to the postmaster main loop on error would not really be useful.