Re: Progress report on locale safe LIKE indexing

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Progress report on locale safe LIKE indexing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hiroshi Inoue writes:

> 1) Because the current implementaion of LIKE isn't locale-aware,
>    we should be compatible with it for ever.

I'm not sure I intended to say that.  The combination of the following
factors seems important:

a) compatibility is desirable
b) no requests to the contrary have been made
c) the LIKE locale awareness as defined by SQL is quite brain-dead

> 2) strcoll(str1, str2) == 0 means strcmp(str1, str2) == 0
>    in any locale.

I *think* that is true, but until something happens about 1) it doesn't
matter.

What is your position:  Do you think my solution is short-lived because
the LIKE implementation is wrong and should be changed?