Re: Re: Use int8 for int4/int2 aggregate accumulators?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Re: Use int8 for int4/int2 aggregate accumulators?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> We could try to force-convert the result of an SQL function to the right
> thing, I suppose, but I'm worried that that might mask programmer errors
> more than it helps.

What I had in mind was to allow type conversion between the same
TypeCategory().  The SQL function analyzer is extraordinarily picky:

create function test(int) returns varchar as '   select substring(''PostgreSQL'' from $1);
' language sql;
ERROR:  return type mismatch in function: declared to return character
varying, returns text