Re: Initdb -E LATIN1 fails when no multibyte support compiled in (current CVS)

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Initdb -E LATIN1 fails when no multibyte support compiled in (current CVS)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Rene Pijlman writes:

> But now the problem: LATIN1 is of course a singlebyte encoding.
> So why is multibyte support needed to use it?

--enable-multibyte really gives you two things:

1. ability to handle multi-byte characters sets in string mashing
functions

2. character set conversion between client and server

These things are technically unrelated but the group of users that need
this seems to have coincided.  If you want to propose splitting this up it
could be discussed.  Maybe #2 could even be on by default.

> If this is the intended behaviour, I think the documentation of
> --enable-multibyte in the INSTALL file (and perhaps in other
> places) should be fixed. And if at all possible, it should be
> renamed too.

I think the INSTALL file refers you to the Admin Guide for more
information, where this is explained.  Maybe that needs to be improved.