Re: Vague idea for allowing per-column locale

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Vague idea for allowing per-column locale
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thomas Lockhart writes:

> o character set/collation syntax for string literals

I think it's <character value expression> COLLATE <collation name>.  It's
another one of these things that break our nicely organized system. :-(

> o internal representation
>
> o appropriate operators and functions for these sets/collations

Hmm, there aren't a lot of things you can do with them, no?

> o I/O conventions between client and server (may use the current
> scheme?)

As long as it works I don't see a problem.  I have said before that we
should allow using the iconv interface because it's more powerful.

> o allowing these alternate character sets for table names (or wherever
> allowed by SQL9x). How to expose, for example, equality operators to
> allow internal PostgreSQL operation: is our current use of strcmp()
> enough?

No.  This could be tricky to do though without sacrificing the designed
efficiency of the "name" type.  For instance, how could we store the
which-locale-is-it information?