Re: Database Users Management and Privileges

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Database Users Management and Privileges
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Gunnar Rønning writes:

> Better user management and policy delegations would be important
> postgresql to succeed in enterprise environments.

Keeping compatibility is also important.

> Maybe one should
> start distinguishing logins from users like Sybase does. Logins are global
> to all databases, and you can create a user for a given database and assign
> it to a login.

That doesn't strike me as terribly better.  Operating system
administrators tend to unify user management across the whole network.
You're essentially suggesting making separate users per file system.
Ugh.

> It would also be nice to be able to assign users to
> groups(which in turn define access rights within the database).

That would indeed be nice.  That's why we have already implemented it.