Re: Newbie question :-)

От Brett W. McCoy
Тема Re: Newbie question :-)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, 24 Feb 2001, Bela Lantos wrote:

> I just started learning Database Design, our programs have to work on
> Oracle, but at home I run Linux.
>
> Can any of you tell me how portable are the programs written for Progresql?
> Would they run on Oracle without problem?

That all depends on the programming interface you are writing your
programs with.  If you are using Oracle's or PostgreSQL's native
libraries, they are not going to be portable at all.  However, if you are
building your code with a data abstraction layer (i.e., Java's JDBC,
Perl's DBI, ODBC), you will have a lot more portability between database
systems.

-- Brett
                                     http://www.chapelperilous.net/~bmccoy/
Please come home with me ... I have Tylenol!!