Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Re: Sure enough, the lock file is gone
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen writes:

> What about the X sockets, then?

Sockets are not the problem, regular files are.  (At least for tmpwatch.)

> But, let me ask this: is it a good thing for PostgreSQL clients to have
> hard-coded socket locations?  (Good thing or not, it exists already, and
> I know it does....)

Perhaps there could be some sort of /etc/postgresql.conf file that is read
by both client and server that can control these sort of aspects.  But I
don't see much use in it besides port number and socket location.
Because those are, by definition, the only parameters in common to client
and server.

> I have another question of Peter, Tom, Bruce, or anyone -- is the
> hard-coded socket location in libpq?  If so, wouldn't a dynamically
> loaded libpq.so bring this location in for _any_ precompiled, not
> statically-linked, client?

Yes.  Good point.