Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL CVS Patch

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL CVS Patch
Дата
Список pgsql-ports
Jason Tishler writes:

> My reasons for installing the "shared" libraries, DLLs under Cygwin,
> into bindir and libdir are as follows:
>
>     1. All of the DLLs except for plpgsql.dll need to be in the users
>     PATH, otherwise Windows cannot start applications that depend on them.

Okay, so you set your PATH to include libdir.  No problem there.

>     The canonical example is the regression test (really psql).

Okay, so we could change the regression test driver to set a PATH that
includes libdir.  No problem there.

>     However,
>     any app that is dependent on ecpg.dll, pgeasy.dll, pq.dll, or pq++.dll
>     will have this problem too.  The only exception is plpgsql.dll which
>     needs to be in LD_LIBRARY_PATH since it is dlopen-ed into
>     postgres.exe, if appropriate.

So you set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include libdir as you always had to.
No problem there.

>     3. I continued to install the DLLs to libdir because I was concerned
>     that postgres.exe (or other executables) might be dlopen-ing them.
>     If so, then LD_LIBRARY_PATH would have to be set to a different
>     value on Cygwin than on other UNIX systems.

On modern Unixes it is no longer necessary to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH at all
(and on those where it is the variable isn't necessarily called that), so
we're looking at platform-specific requirements anyway.

> Given more insight into my reasoning, will you reconsider and accept my
> Makefile.shlib patch?

I'd like to know what libtool does.  Diverging from libtool behaviour will
get us into trouble in the future.