Re: Re: Too many open files (was Re: spinlock problems reported earlier)

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Re: Too many open files (was Re: spinlock problems reported earlier)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> I'm not sure why this didn't get dealt with, but I think it's a "must
> fix" kind of problem for 7.1.  The dbadmin has *got* to be able to
> limit Postgres' appetite for open file descriptors.

Use ulimit.

> I propose we add a new configuration parameter, MAX_FILES_PER_PROCESS,
> with a default value of about 100.  A new backend would set its
> max-files setting to the smaller of this parameter or
> sysconf(_SC_OPEN_MAX).

I think this is an unreasonable interference with the customary operating
system interfaces (e.g., ulimit).  The last thing I want to hear is
"Postgres is slow and it only opens 100 files per process even though I
<did something> to allow 32 million."