Re: query

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: query
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003, Angshuman Basu wrote:

> Sir,
>
>   I, am working on a project of developing customised network application software.Now the company is insisting to
usePGSQL as backend database.As I am not acquainted with the software
>  I would like to know something from your part.
>
> 1) Provide me a name of Indian version reference book.
> 2) The system where I am working have a red Hat Linux Server & Windows client, so what will be the connectivty & what
willbe the driver?

ODBC I guess would be an appropiate interface for you. I imagine the client
side libraries are available for Windows systems so to some extent it's going
to depend on what language you'll be using. Might even find perl's DBI
interface can be made to work with DBD::Pg.

> 3) What is the price ? or whether you have free ware?

Now, I am actually shocked at this. It's good to see companies wanting to use
PostgreSQL but surely they told you of the reasons, of which price must have
been one. If not one's got to wonder if they just picked a RDBMS name at
random.

> 4) can I get a demo version of this databse, so that I can update myself?(I am a graduate Computer Engineer from
JadavpurUniversity)

You can get more than that. You can get the real
thing. http://www.postgresql.org/ Version 7.3.4 is latest stable but 7.4 is
coming closer to being released.

> 5)Whether VB6 can be used as front end?

I doubt it unless it can use ODBC connectivity.

--
Nigel J. Andrews

От: "Nigel J. Andrews"
Сообщение: Re: Hesitate to write this: can't get at postgres.org
От: "Marc G. Fournier"
Сообщение: Re: downloading latest source from cvs