Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres
Дата
Re: - what protocol for an Internet postgres  (Network Administrator <netadmin@vcsn.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, 16 May 2003, Network Administrator wrote:

> I use SSH all the time to tunnel shell and X-windows traffic.  I think I
> remember getting a local psql connection to a remote database going following
> the instruction s in section 3.8 of the Adminstrators guide but its been a
> little bit.
>
> If no one else response I'll take a wack at it and send in a step-by-step example.

Thanks for that, race you ;) (see below)

> As a note though, generally, I just SSH into the box that has the database and
> then run psql from there or open up pgaccess.

This is very odd. Over the space of 4 months I've tried this several times and
each time getting no where, including after reading the initial message in this
thread.

This evening I try again and as before get no where. However, I then go into
the firewall setup and disable one particular rule that opens all remote
hosts/ports for a particular service. I couldn't find one that matched the ssh
port on the remote test machine and this was the only candidate despite the
service name looking wrong for SSH and the associated program listed as a
Windows system folder one. I verify the normal ssh login and firewall
alerts. Try the tunneling, without having an open ssh session to the target
system, and unsurprisingly it fails. Then I login to the target system, after
finally remembering the password, and try the forwarding again and it works!

Basically the only thing different in my setup from earlier attempts is this
disabled firewall rule. I am very baffled but obviously in a position to write
a short piece on using SSH tunneling with SSH Communications software. I say
very short because there's little to say except the couple of setup steps and
may be some vague mutterings about firewalls [but quite what I don't know].

Sorry for the rambling, it is late here, and I'm baffled, amazed and wondering
how I'm going to explain to the two remote developers why they should try it
after all these months.

--
Nigel J. Andrews