Re: PREPARED ...

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: PREPARED ...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 12 May 2003, alex b. wrote:

> hi
>
> I'm pretty sure you people will want kill me for this, but I've heard
> quite a lot about prepared queries..
>
> well, the pgdocs don't really clarify or give examples on how to use
> this command.
>
> besides, is it even stored? if so, then, how do you delete it, view it,
> or modify it?
>
> and most importantly, how do you use them?
>
> I have this table, I want to add a few values usint INSERT INTO, but I
> heard using this command combined with prepare speeds things up a little
> - good, so I wanted to try it, but failed miserably... :(
>
> well, any help's appreciated.

I've not tried it since I don't want an error to kill my transactions, and at
the moment I don't want to change things to allow it, but one general idea is
you do something like:

loop {

    EXECUTE myname ...
    if error and error is about myname not a prepared query then
        PREPARE myname INSERT ...
}

Another would be:

PREPARE myname INSERT ...
loop {
    EXECUTE myname ...
}

Other than that I can't say whether the docs are correct in the details but I
can't say I would expect them to be wrong.

What is it you have tried and what are the errors?

Prepared queries are only prepared in individual backends.

--
Nigel J. Andrews