Re: Database server restarting

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: Database server restarting
Дата
Re: Database server restarting  (Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar_daithankar@persistent.co.in>)
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 6 May 2003, shoaib wrote:

> When I login a console, I can see the prompt but after typing in login
> name system just don't respond it does not come to password prompt.

You may have to wait a long time which isn't very good because a) by the time
the system has enough resources to proceed with your log in it's not in the
same state it was in at the problem time (obviously) and b) the login process
may well timeout the login attempt before it even gets to the stage of asking
for the password.

You really do need to be logged in before the problem occurs. Indeed, have more
than one session running, run system monitoring utilities like top and procinfo
and also one you can type into without stopping those utilities.

If you can get the system to again you may also find it useful to run your
cronjobs by hand to verify them individually and to then try and replicate the
early morning conditions at whatever time you can test things. If you're having
to wait overnight everytime just to take a look at a new piece of the puzzle
you're locked into that timetable for generating and testing a solution.

--
Nigel Andrews