Re: Firewalls and Postgres

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: Firewalls and Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 29 Jan 2003, Alan Carbutt wrote:

> Does anyone know if postgres uses any additional ports that might be
> blocked by a firewall?  I'm setting up a data warehouse prototype using
> pgAccess as the front end and I'm not having too much success with
> firewalling.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ok, rather vague question for something like this. Additional ports to the
5432, or whatever you've configured the server to listen on, I presume. I
therefore have to assume that you've opened tcp port 5432 (or whatever) and
you're seeing tcp traffic coming through and back out, in which case it's
working.

On the other hand it's not working so, have you open the firewall properly? Are
you using ident authentification? What about other
authentification/authorisation methods requiring access to external resources?

Basic network monitor should help you find out what traffic your server is
trying to send out, where it's getting to and what's happening to the reply
packets. Having said that it helps having another system to do the monitoring
with as the firewall rules can get in the way of seeing the packets you want to
see in order to see what firewall rule to create :)

--
Nigel Andrews