PostgreSQL in Universities (Was: Re: 7.4 Wishlist)

От Gavin Sherry
Тема PostgreSQL in Universities (Was: Re: 7.4 Wishlist)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> I've given a talk in the 2002 honours lecture series at UWA about Postgres
> and some of the things it can do.  All of those guys were interested.
> Especially since the deptartment does a lot of work in genetic algoriithms.

Excellent. Can you put that talk online somewhere?

> Tell me when you start working on a document - I'm happy to help.  Since I'm
> only just out of Uni, I'd like to write a set of possible assignments and
> learning outcomes and how you can use postgres to support them.
>
> My girlfriend is a PhD student at UWA CS dept :) plus I won the honours
> scholarship there a year or two back, so I can get interest from the dept,
> including the databases lecturer.  Might help for another point of view and
> feedback.

Excellent. Are there any other people involved in PostgreSQL and
universities or educational institutions? If so we could put something
together about experiences for the advocacy Web site.

> That's tragic.  Teaching kids to admin oracle is something you do in Tafe,
> or an Oracle course, not a university.  Anyway, what kind of course teaches
> you about how to admin oracle as opposed to teaching you about ACID
> properties, MVCC, distributed transactions and partitioning?  Most of which
> can be demonstrated with Postgres.  We learnt about relational model,
> algebra and calculus well before learning about SQL!

Your interest in this is clearly the same as mine: Universities
(should) teach concept not product. I'm disgusted that this is not the
case.

If other people are interested we could work on this in January when I am
over your way, as discussed in private email.

Gavin