Re: how to count string occurrence in column

От Nigel J. Andrews
Тема Re: how to count string occurrence in column
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Ben-Nes Michael wrote:
> Hi All
>

> How can i count how many time a string 'hello' appear in a column.
>
> for example.
>
> select *, count_num_of_string(column, 'hello') from table;

SELECT colname, count(1) FROM mytable WHERE colname = 'hello';

or case insensitively

SELECT colname, count(1) FROM mytable WHERE lower(colname) = 'hello';

or get a list of frequencies, most frequent listed first:

SELECT colname, count(1) FROM mytable GROUP BY colname ORDER BY 2 DESC;

I don't know any good books on SQL but I suggest you see what you can
find. Of course there may well be some tutorials available on the web.

--
Nigel J. Andrews
Director

---