Re: max relations in a single database

От Ralph Graulich
Тема Re: max relations in a single database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Tom,

> There is no such limit.  Instead, I conclude that there is something
> seriously broken about your installation.

Otherwise the installation runs fine, as I hope the recent increase of
parameters in pg_config.h didn't break anything:

#define INDEX_MAX_KEYS      64
#define FUNC_MAX_ARGS       INDEX_MAX_KEYS

> I would suggest trying a system-catalog REINDEX (read the REINDEX man
> page about how to do this procedure; it's a bit involved).  Then see
> if you can run pg_dumpall without errors --- if so, initdb and reload.

I will try that, reindexing the system catalogue. I can however pg_dumpall
even right now with any problems and all the relations show up fine in the
resulting dump file. This is what I checked before asking.

Meanwhilst I checked the documentation on the system catalogue tables and
did a "SELECT * FROM pg_tables WHERE tablename NOT LIKE 'pg%';" and the
tables and views I am missing show up there, but with a leading space.

Then I went back to the failing relation of before and quoted the table
name, added a leading space and it worked. The relation is there. However,
in the create statement of those relations in question, there are neither
any quotes nor any leading spaces. Double checked that.

> In practically every case we've seen recently of behavior as weird as
> that, the problem eventually traced to hardware failures; for example,
> bad RAM leading to index corruption.  I'd suggest running any diagnostic
> programs you can find.  (badblocks and memtest86 have been spoken of
> highly in the lists.)

I can't exclude the possibility of any hardware issues, for sure, but I am
pretty sure my system runs fine, as there is an oracle development
database on it and running RAID drives with an ICP vortex RAID controller
(RAID 1). No problems shown related to any other program, but will check
nonetheless.

Just imported all the table definitions on my web machine (physically not
connected to my development machine), which runs kernel 2.2.19, single CPU
machine, RAID 1 drives. Same error there. Am really puzzled now.

Below you'll find the configuration line I used to compile postgres on
both machines, using gcc 2.95.2.

./configure \
--prefix=/home/postgres \
--mandir=/usr/man \
--with-pgport=5432 \
--with-perl \
--with-openssl=/usr/local/ssl \
--enable-odbc \
--enable-syslog \
--enable-locale

Now I'll test the things you mentioned and will give feedback as soon as
the tests are through.

King regards
... Ralph ...

Сообщение: Re: max relations in a single database
Сообщение: Re: max relations in a single database