max relations in a single database

От Ralph Graulich
Тема max relations in a single database
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

using:

- postgres 7.2.1 (with pl_funcs.c patch)
- linux kernel 2.4.17 on intel 32 dual CPU

While attempting to port an existing application things started to fail
randomly, like 'relation xyz not found' etc. - It took me a while to
figure out, that things starting to behave strangely, once I define more
than 254 relations in one database.

Currently I use:

- 62 tables
- 68 sequences

Now I define one more table, for example. postgres does not show up any
errors while creating the table, it shows up fine in "\d", but the number
of rows don't exceed 254. Now I define three more views, for example, they
show up fine in "\d", but the rows still don't exceed 254.

The problem is, that old relations start to be deleted (?) or being
unaccessible. They do however get dumped with pg_dump, but they get an
error by:

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM race_dots_2002;
ERROR:  Relation "race_dots_2002" does not exist

Am I missing something important? Do I have to raise another configuration
directive, like for the max parameters in functions (which I already did
and seems to work fine).

Kind regards
... Ralph ...