size of function body

От Ralph Graulich
Тема size of function body
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

after some fooling around I figured out that a function body can't be
larger than the defined postgres' block size, which defaults to 8192
byte. The same time I read enlarging the default block size has a negative
performance impact.

How would the "long time experts" decide on the following issues given:

(1) running postgres 7.2.1 on a 32 bit system
(2) needing (if not splitting up, which would be a tedious work) about at
least 30 / 35 functions larger than about 20 to 25 kbyte each
(3) those functions are called for almost every query, which means all
input/output from the application to the database is done by calling
functions

Another issue: If one has got nested function (function 1 calling function
2, 3, 4, 5 to do the work) and a "subfunction" (2, 3, 4 or 5) gets dropped
and recreated, the reference of function 1 to that subfunction gets
lost. Is there any easy way to "recompile" all depending subfunctions?

If anyone wants to point me to some documentation, I am glad to read
through those issues on my own. Just didn't find anything documented.

Kind regards
... Ralph ...