Re: benchmarking postgres

От Ola Sundell
Тема Re: benchmarking postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, mlw wrote:

> Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >
> > Look at this: (top one)
> >
> > http://www.mysql.com/information/benchmarks.html
> >
> > Does anyone feel like running the MySQL benchmark against postgres 7.2 to
> > see if there's been a real speed improvement??
> >
> > Chris
>
> These guys are just A$%$%holes. We have to come up with a benchmark which shows
> the the difference between a stupid little file-locking single user toy, and a
> real tansactional system.
>
> Maybe we too can put in little snide remarks about MySQL.

Now, let's be a bit sensible, here. MySQL is a great product, if you want
a single-user SQL interface to flat files. It is blazingly fast when it
comes to retrieving information in an environment where there is little or
no data change.

We all know the strenghts of postgresql. It is a fully-featured
transactional database. MySQL is not, but it is neither stupid, nor a
toy. It has its purposes, as does postgresql.

Ola

--
Ola Sundell
ola@miranda.org - olas@wiw.org - ola.sundell@personalchemistry.com