Re: NULL values or not?

От Archibald Zimonyi
Тема Re: NULL values or not?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you....

Your post, Josh, was very informative for me. As it is now, my Vampire
schema, which I forgot to add as an attachment, doesn't allow a single
NULL value. I do have a small amount of data, which is why things might
still work as fast as they do.

The start of my problems is still the fact that when I do VACUUM ANALYZE
my main query takes almost a minute (from around a second), which has made
me perlexed by the whole thing, since the EXPLAIN shows relatively low
values (although reading that is still an art, I have a query which
results in more rows and has higher EXPLAIN values but still takes less
time then my main query).

I have read a book which I find immensly useful and good, called:

The Practical SQL Handbook

published by Addison-Wesley. It is this book that has given me my main
view of SQL and database design. I think my database uses a lot of the
normalization rules which is why I try to avoid NULL values. An example
from my own Vampire database follows:

CREATE TABLE cards
( card_id int2 DEFAULT NEXTVAL('cards_seq'), cardname text NOT NULL, PRIMARY KEY(card_id)
);

CREATE TABLE cards_names
( card_id int2 NOT NULL, cardname text NOT NULL, FOREIGN KEY (card_id) REFERENCES cards
);

The table cards include the primary names of all cards. Each card is
unique, giving it a unique id. Some cards have two names, due to the fact
that there were misprints etc.

So the table cards_names includes those few cards which might have two
names.

CREATE TABLE cards_costs
( card_id int2 NOT NULL, cost int2 NOT NULL, pool bool NOT NULL, FOREIGN KEY (card_id) REFERENCES cards
);

Some cards, but not all, have a certain cost to play. Instead of having a
"cost" column in "cards" and then having NULL values where the cards have
no cost, I once again decided to create a new table connecting the cost to
a card with it's id. So cards_costs also includes less cards then do the
table cards.

It is this I based my questions on, I know why I do it the way I do, but I
would also like to hear what other people think of this solution, and
perhaps why I should use NULLS instead. As I said in an earlier post,
there is a cost of joining the tables, which is higher then having one
table with NULLS.

Once again, thanks for the replies folks,

Archie