Re: NULL values or not?

От Archibald Zimonyi
Тема Re: NULL values or not?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

> What is the problem with nulls? why are they bad??

NULLs are not bad, I have never claimed them to be. I try to avoid them
personally, which tends to make my number of tables many, but with fewer
lines usually since I don't have any NULLS.

However the current structure I have takes too long time (at least I think
so) and when I used VACUUM ANALYZE I went from roughly a 1 second query to
a 1 minute query. In my opinion that should not happen.

And if I have a structure with the following data:

CREATE TABLE person
( person_id int2, FirstName text, LastName text, phone_id int2
);

CREATE TABLE phonenumbers
( phone_id int2, phonenumber
);

where in table person phone_id could be NULL.

I would still have to join together my tables in order to retrieve all
info with a left join.

So again, I have no problems with NULLS, I just would like someone to
share when they use them contra when they don't.

Archie