Re: Metadata for tables, schema, and numeric

От Ola Sundell
Тема Re: Metadata for tables, schema, and numeric
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Mike Finn writes:
>
> > there is still no return value from
> >
> >      getCatalogName(int)
> >      getSchemaName(int)
> >      getTableName(int)
> >
> > Is this something that can be done or is the data just not available from
> > postgresql?  (ie can I expect to see it in a future release?)
>
> These functions are fundamentally flawed, because it's impossible to
> determine the table name that a result column came from, except in the
> most simple cases in which case you don't need these functions.

Ho, hum.

I disagree. You can either parse the query at the client side, which is
flawed, imo, or you can make the backend send the information along with
the rest of the Field metadata. Yes, I know that would be a major change,
that would break all existing interfaces. Yes, I know it would be a pain
in the latter regions to fix. One thing you might want to consider,
though, is that the information is necessary for the
UpdateableResultSets. How, else, are you going to execute the updates?

Ola

--
Ola Sundell
ola@miranda.org - olas@wiw.org - ola.sundell@upright.se

Сообщение: Re: Metadata for tables, schema, and numeric
Сообщение: Re: Metadata for tables, schema, and numeric