Re: connecting to postgres server from Access

От Joel Burton
Тема Re: connecting to postgres server from Access
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Markus Wagner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running a postgres db server on my linux machine. Someone else would like
> to build his frontends with MS Access and use the postgres server as backend.
> He installed the Pg/ODBC-Driver linked to at the pg web site. But when he
> tries to link in some table he always gets an error message about wrong
> authentication. I inserted his IP address in the pg_hba.conf file and created
> a linux user account for him as well as a pg user account within "template1".
> So he could log in and use "createdb" to create his own db. I tried to set
> his password within pgaccess, but pgaccess claims about wrong input ("").
> Leaving the password field empty doesn't help to get the connection.  Then I
> set his password with "ALTER USER" in pgsql. But there still is no connection
> from access to pg yet.

First of all, questions about interfacing to PostgreSQL are better
directed to pgsql-interfaces list. You might not get much help posting to
the sql list.

What kind of authorization are you using in pg_hba.conf? (can you post the
line from pg_hba.conf for him)

What error message does he get in Access?

Can he connect to the database from another Linux/Unix machine via
psql? (or, from his Windows machine using a PostgreSQL-compatible command
interface, like isql)?

There's a FAQ on PostgreSQL + Access at www.scw.org/pgaccess. It may help
as well.

Good luck,