Re: well, this is a newbie list...

От Bruce Tong
Тема Re: well, this is a newbie list...
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
> I assume that this means that my user id is not yet valid under
> postgres.  The section in the admin document labelled "Creating Users"
> is empty.  The documentation does talk about "becoming user postgres".
> I am not sure what I need to do for this either.

First of all, here's the URL of some notes I wrote about 2 years ago. They
should still be good as PostgreSQL hasn't changed much in the "getting
started" arena...

http://pugsly.ev.net/~zztong/public_html_vishnu/postgres

... I think you'll find the notes contained there a acceptable tutorial as
it is basically a journal of my learning the basics.

To more directly answer your question, I can su to the "postgres" user
where the commands "createuser" and "createdb" allow you to create
PostgreSQL users and databases for those users. I have found it convenient
to create db users and databases of the same name as the loginid, as the
"psql" command which is a command line SQL tool will assume the loginid
for both the db user and the database name if you provide no other
arguments.

I hope that helps.

--

Bruce Tong                 |  Got me an office; I'm there late at night.
Sr. Software Engineer      |  Just send me e-mail, maybe I'll write.