Re: Delimited identifier length

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Delimited identifier length
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> Next question is do we want to change it?  I can't imagine any real good
> use for a null-string name, but is there any risk of breaking existing
> applications?

I think the larger risk is breaking applications if we leave it this way.
One such broken application is the format_type function and thus pg_dump.
That can be fixed of course, but there might be more programs that use a
similar simple-minded mechanism to check whether quoting is needed.

Also, an empty identifier might be more likely to be a client program bug
than really intended, especially in languages that handle variables
loosely.

OTOH, I'd suggest that we do not enforce the 128 maximum length mandated
by SQL. :-)