pg_dump and restore

От Andreas Tille
Тема pg_dump and restore
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

Im really struck with trouble when I first tried to copy a database
to another host.  I followed the dos and did:

    host1 ~> pg_dump <database> > dump
    host2 ~> cat dump | psql <database>

Now I tried to check wether all went right and did

    host2 ~> pg_dump <database> > dump2

So dump and dump2 shouldn't differ (at least not in importantly) I think.
But there is a great difference between the database.  About half of the
table is missing.  To make sure I tried

    host1 ~> cat dump | psql <database2>
    host1 ~> pg_dump <database2> > dump2

to verify if this problem also remains if I'm sitting on the same
database server.  And so it was :-((.

How could that happen????

I append the output while the psql-insertion to this mail.  May be it
gives some hints for those not as new to PostgreSQL as I.

I'm using PostgreSQL 7.0.2 on a Debian GNU/Linux system.

Kind regards

          Andreas.

Вложения