Re: Gripe: working on configure now requires Automake installed locally

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Gripe: working on configure now requires Automake installed locally
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> You seem to be relying on automake's aclocal program to combine the
> config/*.m4 files into aclocal.m4.  I can see no value in introducing
> this additional package dependency, since as far as I can tell aclocal
> isn't doing anything for us that 'cat' couldn't do.

We need it if we ever want to use libtool unless you want to include half
of libtool into CVS.

> there's no really good reason not to just keep all the configure code
> in configure.in.

It's really the same as keeping all of the C source code in one file, you
don't do that either. IMHO, it's a matter of logical organization,
modularity etc. I find setups organized like this much more readable. Many
tests in configure don't interface to config.cache properly;
unfortunately, fixing that makes the tests longer. I don't think a 5000
line file of shell and macro processing is really what you want.

> Regression tests are currently failing for me because the int8-related
> configure tests are busted.

I already fixed something there.

Well, I'm not proprietory on any of this, I'm just following the book. Let
me know...