Re: Bug Repoprt- Casting Issues

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Bug Repoprt- Casting Issues
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane writes:

> If you'd prefer not to be concerned about the intermediate conversion
> to abstime, then use the date() notation.  The :: notation is designed
> for controlling the type conversion exactly.

Wow, that is definitely confusing. I had always thought that `::' is
"cast, no matter how", and date() is "call the function date, which
happens to do the conversion". But now it seems that the supposed "cast"
syntax is really just a dumb function call whereas the function syntax
actually does more intelligent work behind the scenes.

I have a feeling these type conversion issues aren't going away for a long
time...