Re: Performance/Reliability statistics?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Performance/Reliability statistics?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Jason M.Felice writes:

> InterBase and Oracle both have basic performance and reliability
> statistics

Do you mean *statistics* or `claims'?

> (InterBase says it's good for about 700 users and about a 10,000 row
> database, for example)

There are PostgreSQL databases with millions of rows and many gigabytes in
size. I couldn't tell you much about the user aspect but I don't see a
problem with 50 concurrent connections plus an extended set of occasional
users.

> (I noticed on another list that a backend horking causes the others to
> rollback and shutdown to avoid corrupting shared memory,

It will shutdown all connections and reinitialize itself. That's different
from shutting down the whole server.

> so I'll be putting this into inittab ;-)

I'd strongly advise against that. It won't solve the problem you think it
would (because there is none) and it comes with its own set of issues.

> P.S. If there are some good medium-large-ish scale projects which are
> fairly stable out there,

I don't really know what you mean with this comment but let me assure
you: people actually use this software for real work.

> the next step will be to ask how much hardware.

You can read endless threads about "hardware" in the archives. What it
comes down to is lots of memory, a good disk, a good file system, lots of
CPU power (and perhaps a second CPU); approximately in that order I'd say.